Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer holidays

I almost called this "Summer Vacay" but that might somewhat imply that we are going on a vacation. Truth is, my kids have been out of school for over a week. Going to Christian School means more family time, more holidays, much earlier school let out (like a whole 7 school days earlier than public school!). 

When I had one darling in school, I couldn't wait for holiday time. Now I'm sufficiently overwhelmed and really appreciate and thrive on having time to myself (and by that, I mean with only one child or sometimes two--and going to the gym). 

Also, I had umbilical hernia repair surgery in mid-June. My older two still had six days of school left at the time and so my husband had to do "my job" for a few days. He did awesome! He was getting around to the main jobs, sometimes around 11pm he'd do dishes. He took great care of the kids and just kind of left me to myself to rest and heal. He did do a few days of work which were a bit scary for me but my Mom came over one day and the other day I felt well enough to handle things--but that day was waaay to hard. 

He says he does not want to do my job anymore. It was much harder and busier than he expected...he was expecting to get all sorts of projects done around the house (fencing, build bunk beds, train the dog, sand and paint) but admitted after a day or two that he realized those things were not going to happen. 

I also must say that the first five or so days when I really needed Derek around were so lovely. I enjoyed our time together and as a family more than I think I did when ever we've had a new baby and mostly, I realized, because he was present with us and not taking on some huge project!

Once I started to feel better, and could do dishes or laundry, I got way more naggy--thankfully he let me know so I calmed myself down and shut my mouth as much as I could. 

I still have another 4 weeks of recovery with no lifting and so I have to be careful about my nearly 2-year-old. Thankfully Diedre can pop him into his crib for naptime and lift him out. 

I feel great really. Some friends have been bringing meals which is so sweet. I really needed it at the beginning, I'm at the end of needing that sort of help now. 

Knowing I still have a fair bit of recovery reminds me to slow down and not overcommit to summer outings. I am sort of planning to lay low for the first half of July but I'm really looking forward to getting back to the gym!

I'm really thankful for the medical system that allowed me to have surgery and to my husband for stepping in and being really helpful and caring for me in a way I haven't really experienced before. 

No comments: