Wednesday, January 10, 2007

jealousy hits home

i have been reading jamie's blog and our toddlers are behaving exactly the same. they have both started getting really jealous and sad when we are trying to attend to our newborns. its kind of amazing how they both just started now, after around 6 or 7 weeks.

it breaks my heart when diedre cries with such sadness, she's been saying "mommy my" (my mommy) and asking me to hold her. i've been choosing to stay home from playgroups just to try to give her as much one on one as possible (because i think its more valuable then her playing with other kids right now to give me a break from entertaining her).

another thing jamie and i have in common is a sick household. i just wanted to share this with you all as it may be helpful for those suffering from colds:
my brother recommended trying Salinex, a salt-water drop in the nose that helps thin out the mucus to help little ones breathe better.

its good for us, toddler, and babies. we have tried it with Ezekiel and it seems to really help.

Derek couldn't find Salinex but the pharmacist advised him to buy Saline Nasal Mist (which works as a drop if you tip it over rather than try to mist it straight up).

my brother suggested giving it an hour before bed so it has time to work through the system (it tricks the stomach into thinking its blood so it passes through the intestines and cleans out mucus rather quickly). it did change his poop to a very yellow colour.

g2g, fussy time!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one :) It's been so hard this week and I feel like Micah is acting as though I don't even love him! Sometimes by the time I can sit down and play with him, he's so whiny that he doesn't even WANT to play with me. Then I feel like I can't do anything to help him! I find myself counting the hours until my husband gets home from work so that I can get a break!
Anyway, we'll have to be each other's support group ;)

And thanks for the tip about the salt-water drops. I think the worst of the cold has passed, but I will definitely remember that for next time!

Jessi said...

awww...thats sad. anyone with siblings has survived, she'll be fine....it just must be heart wrenching to see :(
my friend's older boy took to violence and thought it was his job to pummel his little brother....just be thankful she's a sweet, gentle girl ;)

hang in there amanda, you are a wonderful mom and both diedre and ezekiel are lucky to have such a caring mommy. you'll laugh about it all one day....one day ;)