Sunday, February 06, 2005

maternity leave has begun

I went into work for 3 hours on Friday to wrap up a few things. It was exciting for me to drive away and think "wow, now i'm a stay-at-home mom!" On wednesday there was a nice goodbye party for me and my friend/boss (who is going to China to adopt next week!).

It will be weird to go from working full time for 8 years to working around the house. I'm a little nervous about the transition because it will be such a big change to be responsible for the home rather than for an outside job. It will also be a challenge to make sure to rest as long as I can while still getting some things done around home.

I actually have kind of a busy week scheduled. I have a few lunch dates and then there's the prenatal class on tuesday night and i'm going to go to La Leche League meeting on wednesday night. so I will really need to be careful in getting the rest I need.

I guess its just a waiting game now...when will the little Salmon decide to be born :)

9 comments:

orangejack said...

Get your rest!

Michelle said...

oh i'm so excited that you are going to LLL!! tell me how it went!

Sasha@Pw said...

I totally hear you on making the transition from full time work to full time home! :) It is definitely an adjustment period. But make sure to get your rest! Lol.

Cara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cara said...

Hi, we've never met but have emailed before. Al Engler 'connected' us as potential climbing couples. It's Andy and Cara Abrahams, if you remember our correspondance. Anyway, this blog reminds me of my transition into motherhood this year. We had our first in Sept. When you said, "It will also be a challenge to make sure to rest as long as I can while still getting some things done around home," I was reminded how true that is and how I wrestled with wanting to keep up with housework, after Sarah was born, but not having energy to. I was engouraged by Denise E. to 'take-in' and treasure the time with our babe and not fret about dust and clutter. Good words. I hope you enjoy your last little while as a 'soon-to-be' momma. Blessings. (I just experimented with the trashcan button cause I didn't know what it was...so the 'deleted post' comment of mine was actually this comment...opps).

derek salmon said...

Hi Cara! yes i remember you :)
we might need to hook up for climbing this summer as we still want to try doing that as long as there are enough people in the group that we can have some shared babysitting.
thanks for posting. i have been kind of overdoing it the last 2 days...but my house is nice and clean now...all i will need to do is maintain it. and i prepared some food that i can freeze for when baby comes and i'm wanting to eat well but not cook...
i think once baby comes it will be easier to spend time with him/her rather than clean. i'm so excited...i wonder when it will happen?

Leah said...

I miss you Amanda! It's only Feb 9. It's so quiet here. I guess I have to get use to a whole year of this :-(

Cara said...

Yes, Amanada...climbing. This is exciting to hear you say you'd like to go even with a little one. I'm so much looking forward to the climbing season...last time I was out was April...wow. I've already been scheming about people to bring with us for climbing days with the fam. I suppose multi-pitch is out of the question for a while :) The weather lately really seems springish and like it's time to head to Squamish.

derek salmon said...

Leah: thanks for the post :) i know you will do great without me there. you have some great girls to chat with still! you could always chat with my replacements: you get 2 for one now ;)

Cara: yes, it sure has been springy lately...but i'll need a few months yet before i'm ready to go out with the baby (since the baby hasn't come out yet...) but it is good to know that there are others who are interested.